Maj. Gen. Scott A. Vander Hamm is the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He is responsible to the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Staff for formulating policy supporting air, space, irregular warfare, counterproliferation, homeland security, weather and cyber operations. General Vander Hamm determines operational requirements, capabilities and training necessary to support national security objectives and military strategy.
General Vander Hamm received his commission through Officer Training School in 1986. His background includes both flying and staff assignments and command at the squadron, group, wing, task force, joint functional component and numbered air force levels. He also served twice in the Joint Staff and in a major command staff. Prior to his current assignment, Gen. Vander Hamm was the Commander, 8th Air Force, Air Force Global Strike Command, and Commander, Joint Functional Component Command, Global Strike and Task Force 204, US Strategic Command. He has flown and employed both the B-2A and B-1B in combat for Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Odyssey Dawn in Libya.
General Vander Hamm is a command pilot with 4,600 hours in the T-37, T-38, T-43, B-52, B-1 and B-2.
1985 Bachelor of Arts degree, Grand Canyon University, Phoenix, Ariz.
1990 Master of Arts degree in Defense Administration, Northern Michigan University, Marquette
1991 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
2000 Master of Military Studies degree, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
2001 Air War College, by seminar
2004 Back to Basics, Executive Business Training, Darden Graduate School of Business, University of Virginia
2005 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
2006 Executive Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2007 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2011 System Acquisition Management Course for General and Flag Officers, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2011 Joint Force Air Component Commander (JFACC) Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Senior Joint Information Operations Application Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Enterprise Perspectives Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2013 Joint Flag Officer’s Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Coalition Force Maritime Component Commander (CFMCC) Course, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fl.
1. April 1986 – January 1987, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. January 1987 – August 1987, Student, B-52 combat crew training, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. September 1987 – March 1990, B-52H Senior Instructor Navigator, and Standardization and Evaluation Flight Examiner, K. I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
4. April 1990 – June 1991, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. July 1991 – August 1995, Flight Commander and B-1 Instructor Pilot, Dyess AFB, Texas.
6. August 1995 – March 1997 , B-2 pilot, Mission Commander, and Chief of Scheduling, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. March 1997 – September 1998, Assistant Director of Operations; Chief of Standardization and Evaluation; Flight Commander; and B-2 instructor pilot, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. September 1998 – July 1999, Wing Executive Officer and B-2 Instructor Pilot, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. July 1999 – June 2000, Student, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
10. June 2000 – June 2002, Operations Officer, Strategic Operations Division (J38), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2002 – June 2004, Commander, 325th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. July 2004 – June 2005, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
13. July 2005 – May 2007, Commander, 7th Operations Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
14. April 2006 – Sep 2006, Commander, 40th Air Expeditionary Group, British Indian Ocean Territory, Diego Garcia
15. June 2007 – June 2009, Commander, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
16. June 2009 – August 2010, Assistant Deputy Director for Global Operations (J39), Operations Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2010 – June 2012, Commander, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
18. July 2012 – October 2013, Director of Plans, Programs, Requirements and Assessments, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
19. October 2013 – April 2015, Commander, Eighth Air Force (Air Forces Strategic) and Commander, Task Force 204, Barksdale AFB, La., and Joint Functional Component Commander for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
20. April 2015 – present, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2000 – June 2002, operations officer, Strategic Operations Division(J38), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2009 – August 2010, Assistant Deputy Director for Global Operations (J39), Operations Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel and brigadier general
3. October 2013 – April 2015, Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: 4,600 hours
Aircraft flown: B-1, B-2, B-52H, T-37 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
State of Missouri Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
1986 Distinguished graduate, Ira J. Husik Memorial Trophy, undergraduate navigator training
1991 Distinguished graduate, ATC Commander’s Trophy; Flying Training Award, undergraduate pilot training
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 11, 1986
First Lieutenant March 11, 1988
Captain March 11, 1990
Major Sept. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Aug. 1, 2004
Brigadier General July 16, 2010
Major General Nov. 15, 2013
(Current as of November 2016)